block1

welcome

block2

see-do

agii_apostoloi

31

block3-5

shopping

Archaeological sites and historical monuments

Ancient Kydonia (Proto-Minoan settlement of Kasteli)

52 178The modern city of Chania is founded in the site of a significant ancient Minoan settlement, Kydonia or ku-do-ni-ja as it appears on Linear B script. According to the tradition, Kydonia was one of the three cities founded by King Minos in Crete.

Read more

Ancient Aptera

53 102Aptera is located about 15 km. away from the city of Chania and above Souda Bay, and during the Minoan period was one of the most important city-states of Crete. It is located on en extended plateau with altitude 200m and astonishing view of Souda Bay.

Read more

The Byzantine Wall of Chania

54 104The Byzantine Wall surrounds the hill of Kasteli, where the first inhabiting of the city is located. It was built in 12th century and its outline is irregular with longitudinal axle from the East to the West, where its two central gates were located.

Read more

Center of Mediterranean Architecture (Grand Arsenal)

55 105The Grand Arsenal is the last of the 17 Neoria to the west. Its construction started in 1585 by the Intendant Alvise Grimani. A new era began for the Grand Arsenal with the addition of the second flour in 1872 during the Turkish period. The building hosted several important public services and authorities.

Read more

Firka Fortress

56 187The fortress Revellino del Porto on the northwest side of the port of Chania was constructed by Venetians to prevent any enemy danger for the port. Its construction began in 1610 and completed a few years before the fall of the city in Turks in 1645.

Read more

Entrance of the Renier Mansion

renier2One of the most important constructions of the Venetian Period is the Entrance of Renier Mansion. It is a palace (Palazzo) of the homonym Venetian-Cretan family with a small family chapel of Agios Nikolaos and the impressive entrance with the Latin sign and the blazon of the family.

Read more

Gate and Rampart Sabbionara

58 110The rampart Sabbionara still preserves its Turkish name "koum - kapi (Kum Kapisi = the Gate of the Sand), is located on the northeast corner of the Venetian walls and is completely constructed in the sea. On the front of the rampart, the circular Venetian emblem of the lion of Agios Marcos is still preserved. It is the only preserved gate today and its external side had been modified during the Turkish period.

Read more

Venetian Neoria

59 193During the Venetian occupation (1204 - 1669), the need for the closer presence of Venetians in Crete made them construct a large number of "Neoria" (arsenal) in Chania, where the ships would be repaired during the winter. The construction of the first two "Neoria" in Chania was completed in 1526. In 1593, sixteen "Neoria" had already been constructed.

Read more

Giali Tzamisi

60 115Giali Tzamisi is the unique preserved Mosque of the city and was built during the second half of the 17th century. It is located at the Venetian Port of Chania. The Mosque Kioutsouk (meaning "little") Hassan or Giali Tzamisi (meaning, the Mosque of the Seaside), as it is commonly known, is a unique sample of islamic art of Renaissance.

Read more

The Egyptian Lighthouse

61 119The Egyptian Lighthouse, which is one of the oldest in the world, prevails in the old Port of Chania. The sea-tossed stone lighthouse  that is located at the edge of the breakwater, is not only the “guard” of the old Venetian port, but also its most famous jewel.

Read more

The Minaret of Agios Nikolaos

62 79The church of Agios Nikolaos, located in Splantzia Square, was built before 1320, during the Venetian period, as a monastery of Dominican Order. After the dominance of Turks in Chania in 1645, the church was transformed into a mosque and was given the name Hiougkar Tzamisi (the Emperor’s mosque), in honour of sultan of the Ottoman Empire, Imbraim.

Read more

The Municipal Market

63 210The Municipal Market of Chania, the large building of 4000 square meters in the centre of Chania is the "heart" of the city. Its foundation started on August 14, 1911, at the place  that was the main rampart of the fortification during the Venetian period, and the construction of the building was completed during the second half of 1913.

Read more

The graves of Venizelos family

64 211The graves of Venizelos family is one of the most popular places that offer a panoramic view of Chania, only a few kilometres east of the city, on the road to Akrotiri and airport. Here are located the graves of the charismatic Greek politician, and seven times Prime Minister of Greece, Eleftherios Venizelos, and his son, Sofoklis Venizelos, who was also Prime Minister of Greece from 1943 to 1952.

Read more

The Municipal Garden and the Watchtower

65 128The Municipal Garden is an important place for walk and pleasure in the city of Chania and is located between Andrea Papandreou and Tzanakaki Street. It is a project of  the philhellene  Reouf Pasa that was designed in 1870 according to European standards and was planted with many evergreen plants and trees under the supervision and the charge of Pasas himself.

Read more

Kastelos fortress in Varypetro

In Varypetro , 1,8 km far from the Varypetro settlement there is a long , rocky hill of around 380 meters where is located a significant archaeological sight. On that hill, a visitor can see the relics of the walls of the acropolis and the acropolis itself as well as the “kastelos” which is also the main sight.

Read more

You may also like...

65 128The Municipal Garden is an important place for

...

The temple of Saint George is located in

...

77 240The Folklore Museum of Chania is located at

...

Chania: A journey to your senses

Like us on Facebook